Mould Remediation In Buxton
Jim’s Mould Remediation Buxton services are experts in mould removal and are trained in the safest and most effective practices of remediation.
Mould reproduces by means of tiny spores, which are invisible to the naked eye and float freely in the air. Inhaling or touching these spores can cause allergic reactions such as asthma attacks, skin irritation, itchy eyes, shortness of breath and poor lung function. It can also make children and susceptible adults (usually those with allergies or a poor immune system) very sick.
What is mould?
Mould is a type of fungus which can be present in both outdoor and indoor environments and is generally the result of wet or poorly ventilated areas, which are continuously damp. Mould requires moisture to grow, as well as a food source, oxygen and warm temperatures – this is why mould commonly develops in bathrooms. It produces microscopic particles which can become airborne and then inhaled by humans and animals.
Common places where mould can develop include bathrooms, wallpaper, tiles, carpets and ceilings. It is also possible that mould can grow within insulation materials and wooden structures.
Signs that you might have a moisture problem include:
- Water stains or discoloration on walls, floors or ceilings in your house.
- Surface abnormalities such as peeling or bubbling paint/wallpaper may indicate dampness.
- You may smell a ‘musty’ odour which is a strong sign that mould is present.
The five stage mould remediation process
1. Inspection and Testing
Working collaboratively with Jim’s Hazardous Material Removal, the team from Jim’s Building Inspections will diagnose the cause of the mould through a visual inspection and with the use of moisture and humidity meters.
Clients will receive a detailed report of findings and diagnosis, together with recommendations of achievable and realistic preventative actions to remove the problem.
To begin the mould removal processs, any form of moisture present needs to be stopped – sub floor water seepage, leaking pipes, roof leaks or ceiling leaks. Jim’s technicians will advise on the specific steps that need to be taken following the initial inspection.
The removal process varies on a case by case basis and uses various techniques to remediate the problem. Generally the process is as follows:
Our mould removalists will perform a ‘fogging’ of the property with a nontoxic and non-corrosive chemical. This chemical is misted throughout the indoor environment and kills mould at the source, removing any airborne spores.
HEPA vacuums are then used to remove spores from walls, ceilings, doors, door frames, windows, soft furnishings, floors and carpets. Whilst all this is happening, the air scrubbers are capturing any dislodged airborne mould spores and bacteria. This is a vital point of difference in method as studies have shown that dead mould spores are just as toxic as live spores and can even be a source of food for living spores.
4. The Dry Out
Following the mould removal process, our technicians will ensure that the affected area is properly dried out. This part of the process is important because if the moisture remains, the mould will simply grow back again. Technicians will use air movers and dehumidifiers to dry out the building and ensure that the affected structures are completely dry.
Finally, it is time to make sure that the mould removal is permanent, which can only be achieved if the original root cause has been rectified. There are a number of other steps that can be taken to help prevent mould re-growing in the future, such as:
- Rising damp treatment
- Draining improvements
- Fixing of water leaks
- Improving overall ventilation and airflow
- Cutting trees back and away from the home
If you are worried about mould in your home or workplace, don’t hesitate to call our team on 131 546.
HOW TO OBTAIN A CLEAN HOME CERTIFICATE FROM JIM’S HAZARDOUS MATERIAL REMOVAL Born from the Asbestos Removal sector, Jim’s Hazmat Removal are a team of experts qualified to undertake multiple technical services...
Be D-I-Y asbestos aware Although asbestos-containing products are generally safe when left undisturbed, they do become brittle over time and can crumble, releasing toxic fibres into the air. And as the popularity of do-it-yourself shows and projects take off, so too does the...
It is common knowledge that asbestos can make people sick. But other than the respiratory difficulties that it is known to cause, do you know anything more...
Used Needle and Syringe Disposal Hotlines It can be distressing to find used and discarded drug needles and syringes. They can often be dumped in public spaces and are sometimes found on...
I have found a used needle or syringe near my home, what should I do? The Australian Government Department of Health has standing advice for people when they find a used needle...