Jim’s Hazardous Materials Removal are Australia’s leading experts in mould removal, trained in the safest and most effective practices of remediation.
Mould reproduces by means of tiny spores, which are invisible to the naked eye and float freely in the air. Inhaling or touching these spores can cause allergic reactions such as asthma attacks, skin irritation, itchy eyes, shortness of breath and poor lung function.
If you are concerned about mould in your home call Jim’s Hazardous Materials on 131 546
What is mould?
Mould is a fungus. It can be present in both outdoor and indoor environments and is generally the result of wet or poorly ventilated areas, which are continuously damp. It needs water to grow, as well as food, oxygen and a warm temperature and produces microscopic particles which can become airborne and then inhaled by humans and animals.
What does mould look like?
Mould can be black, gray-brown, gray-green or white in colour. It can appear as clusters of small blackspots, or can look white and thread-like.
Common places where mould can develop include bathrooms, wallpaper, tiles, carpets and ceilings. It is also possible that mould can grow within insulation materials and wooden structures.
Signs that you might have a moisture problem include water stains or discoloration on walls, floors or ceilings in your house. Surface abnormalities like peeling or bubbling paint or wallpaper may also indicate dampness. You may also smell a ‘musty’ odour which is a pretty good sign that mould is present.
The Myths About Removing Mould
Do the super market products work?
Bleaches and off the shelf mould treatment products, “bleach” or take the colour out of visible mould to hide the problem but fail to treat living hidden mould in gyprock and other building materials, allowing the mould to quickly re-grow..
Is there a product you can spray (or ‘fog’) that kills mould and makes your home safe?
There is no “off-the-shelf” product you can buy to remediate mould. Let’s face it, your home was probably mould free for years before you had a problem, so why would you pay money for something that only has a 12 month warranty? That’s not a solution, and you will find yourself repeating the process for years to come.
A standard cleaner has told me that they can remove the mould. Is this true?
Unfortunately, there are currently no laws or regulations pertaining to mould removal. This means that anyone can call themselves a mould expert and sell solutions that only work for a short time. If you want the mould to stay gone, you need to call in the experts. At Jim’s Hazardous Material Removal, we work in conjunction with Jim’s Building Inspections. This means that we can not only remove the mould, but ascertain the source of the moisture problem so that any necessary repairs can be made to prevent the return of mould in your home.
The Seven Stage Mould Remediation Process:
Jim’s Hazardous Materials Removal will manage the mould inspection, removal and remediation process from start to finish.
- Inspection and Testing
- Following the initial inspection and testing, clients will receive a detailed report of findings and diagnosis, together with recommendations of achievable and realistic preventative actions to remove the cause of damage.
- To begin the mould removal process, any water ingress needs to be rectified – sub floor water seepage, leaking pipes, roof leaks or ceiling leaks.
- Works usually begin with the containment of the affected room/area to prevent the spread of mould spores during the remediation process. The Jim’s Hazardous Material Removal technicians will erect a containment chamber and install Air Filtration Devices.
- Strip Out
- The next step in the remediation process is the removal and safe disposal of the affected building materials, this usually involves removal of carpet, underlay, smooth edge, wall, or ceiling plaster.
- In some instances where your contents items are affected by the mould growth, we recommend these items be disposed of as well.
- Removal of Moisture
- Returning timber wall studs and the subfloor to normal moisture readings is a vital step in the remediation process. All of the Jim’s Hazardous Material Removal team are equipped with the state-of-the-art Flir MR277 (Moisture Meter / Thermal Imaging Camera). This device allows the team to obtain accurate moisture readings of the remaining building materials and monitor them throughout the drying process to ensure they within normal parameters prior to the reinstatement works.
- If the moisture readings in your home are higher than what is considered “normal” for your property, our teams will install a combination of dehumidifiers, air movers and heaters to reduce the moisture levels as quickly as possible to avoid any elongated interruptions.
6. Remediation & Detailed Cleaning
- When the drying phase of works are complete, the team will begin the physical remediation works to the remaining building material. This includes but is not limited to sanding, scrubbing and buffing using a chemical that is an extremely potent, hospital grade disinfectant but is also safe for asthmatics and allergy sufferers. The chemical kills mould at the source.
- HEPA filtered vaccums are then used to complete a through clean to the containment zone including any remaining ceiling & wall plaster, doors, door frames, windows, soft furnishings, floors and carpets.
- Whilst all this is happening, the air scrubbers are capturing any dislodged airborne mould spores and bacteria. This is a vital point of difference in method.
- At the end of every mould remediation job, Jim’s can provide you with a Clean Home Certificate. This certificate is backed by multiple Independent Environmental Professionals (Hygienists) as a bonus, the certification is time stamped and recorded this enables pre-maintenance works, with secure history of the building for landlords and peace of mind for home owners if a claimable insurance event arises in the future.
Benefits of Mould Cleaning
- Fast, safe, effective mould treatment system that treats mould at the source.
- Our anti-microbial solutions trace the mould to moisture source to effectively treat hidden and visible mould.
- Most removal services in a residential property can be treated in one day, providing convenience for busy lifestyles.
- Treats air-borne mould spores and restores air quality to safe, healthy levels.
The cost of mould remediation depends on the extent of the mould in the property and how long the remediation process takes.
If you are worried about mould in your home or workplace, don’t hesitate to call the team on 131 546
We look forward to being of assistance.